September 16, 2011

Going on a "Date" !

Don't get me wrong. :-) I am indeed going on a date but not with M.
A new concept I learnt in the "Creative Writing" class called an "Artist Date".

Julia Cameron, author of "The Right to Write" says - 

"As writers, we draw on an inner fund of images that I call 'the well'.
I think of this well like an inner pond, one that must be kept both stocked & freely flowing. 

Very often, creative work dries up precisely when it is going so well. 
That means we have simply over-fished our inner reservoir without having taken the time & care to consciously restock our storehouse of images.

The device I use to restock the pond is a very simple one, something which I call an 'Artist Date'."

So simply put, an Artist Date is a once-weekly solitary expedition to something festive that interests us. It can be a visit to a museum, an aquarium store, a trip to the fabric store... just about anything.

The point is to go somewhere & to go there alone. 

Why alone? We go alone because an Artist Date is half "artist" and half "date". You are romancing, wooing, courting your creative consciousness. This is something that requires you & your inner artist to spend time alone. Taking the time & care to restock our inner well makes writing a far easier proportion.

So off I go, to decide on a place for this week's Artist Date which is also my homework. 
Suggestions are most welcome. :)
 photo Signature2016_zpshf23y4i0.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment