April 7, 2015

Farewell #AtoZChallenge

Source
Goodbye dear letter, 
It was fun learning to write my feelings in you. 
You were always a treasure, 
Priceless and filled with memories. 
You never failed to gush my heart with emotion
And fill my eyes with tears.

The world now expects, 
To communicate faster, 
By emails, web chats and social media. 
They offer an unlimited array of emoticons,
But I can’t seem to find the one 
Which shows how I yearn
To receive a letter that’ll engulf me in love.

Goodbye dear telephone, 
You were amazing in connecting me,
To my loved ones and family, 
Whenever I craved to hear their voices. 
The few words that were shared, 
Always meant more than what 
A long conversation could ever convey.

The world is now comfortable, 
Using mobiles and video-calling, 
For less or no money at all 
But I can’t find what to say now. 
Suddenly my words look empty 
And seem to have lost their meaning.

Goodbye dear simpler times,
You were a golden phase,
Never demanding and always enriching.
You made everyone a priority,
Family and friends alike, people near and far.
You created infinite memories,
That lingered forever.

Although you evolved gradually,
You changed lives in an instant.
Nothing is the same again,
Nothing will turn back time.
I wish to go back in time.
I wish to return to my old life.

**This post is part of the A to Z April Challenge and the Ultimate Blog Challenge.**

**My theme for the A-Z April Challenge is "26 Days of Eloquent Writing".**


 photo Signature2016_zpshf23y4i0.jpg

18 comments:

  1. Touching and so tragically true. I so wish we had remnants of those days to hold again. The frightening thing is that these days were not eons ago but just 15 years ago. Makes me shudder to think of evolution!

    *Shailaja/Alternate Angles/A-Z*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shailaja and your words also are painfully true. Sometimes, when I watch old movies, it makes me reminisce of how overtly happy and simple the yesteryears were. To the extent that we now miss it and call it an era even though it was only a few years ago.

      Delete
    2. Beautiful and true! That feeling of happiness and joy you receive over a hand-written letter can never be replaced by a mail or chat! :) Beautifully penned!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Shalu ! :) Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Well we were a generation who grew up without mobile phones, Facebook and Twitter. I loved the old times when summer vacations meant endless play under the sun and using our creativity to think up new games. Your lines took me back to my childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prasanna ! It's so ironic that when we grew with practically less distractions we were much content as compared to the endless options that everyone has today and yet is unable to fully engage the mind. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, letters were so great to give and receive. :) Though technology is great and has its benefits, some things are irreplaceable aren't they? <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are irreplaceable. It's a shame the next generations won't even get to know the initial gadgets we used when we were young. :)

      Delete
  4. What a sentimental poem of days gone by. I, too, yearn for the good ole days - the days before mobile phones, internet and social media. I still prefer the old-school communication so I send letters and postcards and such.

    Greetings from a fellow AtoZer!
    Postcards Crossing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That surely was a golden period ! :) Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. A farewell indeed. Those simpler times just disappeared before we could even say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know ! A scary evolution that merely took 10-15 years to take over.

      Delete
  6. I miss those simpler times. :( The long chats without being constantly distracted by our phones and the letters and postcards that we received. Loved this one, EM. :)
    *Shantala @ ShanayaTales*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all do, Shanaya. Wish we had a time machine to hop right on and take us back to those simpler times ... Sigh ! :)

      Delete
  7. I wish to go back in time and I wish to return to my old life, too! Those were the good old days! I remember the wait for the postman and the anticipation and the thrill of receiving a letter and then sharing it all on the reams of paper. Sharing letters with cousins, friends who had left school/college, pen friends was a part of my school/college years. Miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder they were called the "good" old days, huh Shilpa ? :) We all yearn to return to those times.

      Delete
  8. I love this! It's sad that we've had to say goodbye to all of this! I miss letter writing.

    Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sanch. Me too. I miss being able to treasure hand-written notes from all my family and friends. :(

      Delete